Friday, 25 May 2012

Strawberry Jam


I hate buying food when I know I can make it better! And last month I found out that I can make strawberry jam.

I had some strawberries about to go bad, just 8 or 9 of them. They were already a bit to mushy for my taste so I didn't want to eat them, but I also didn't want to throw them away. So I decided to try making a jam... Yes, with only a few strawberries, and my first attempt on jams. I knew that it involved the fruit and sugar, wasn't sure about anything else. So without even measuring things I threw strawberries and sugar into a sauce pan and turned on the heat. I also added some lemon juice because, I think, I read somewhere (probably pinterest) about it. Then I run quickly to my computer and "googled" a recipe. It didn't say much more but it said to add balsamic vinegar. I'm all for balsamic vinegar so I followed the advise. Again, nothing was measured. I let the thing cook up to a point that seemed right (when you scratch the bottom of the pan and it goes "scretchhhh"). Poured the jam on a small bowl, covered it and stuck it in the fridge. And then.... completely ignored it for almost two weeks. 

At first I was afraid of trying it, and then just forgot about it. Then one wonderful day I was "browsing" the fridge, in search of something to put on my toasts with cottage cheese and I saw the little abandoned bowl. It seemed like it was time to try it. On my first bite I felt my world going upside down... It was SO MUCH better than any other jam I had ever tried. I didn't use to much sugar, and was sort of generous with the lemon and balsamic, so the jam was perfect for my taste, slightly acidic... oh I can't describe it, it was just absolutely delicious. 

Of course then I felt stupid for not having tried that before. And I made an oath to never again buy jams at the supermarket. 

all photos by me




2 comments:

  1. Eating is really one of my hobby i mean part of my life and cooking is my passion. I also love going to a place and at the same time taste their delicious and most wanted food.I want to taste something that is new to my palate. Thanks for sharing your article with us.

    n8fan.net

    www.n8fan.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eating is really one of my hobby i mean part of my life and cooking is my passion. I also love going to a place and at the same time taste their delicious and most wanted food.I want to taste something that is new to my palate. Thanks for sharing your article with us.

    n8fan.net

    www.n8fan.net

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...