Sunday, 3 November 2013

Chocolate Salami - Recipe

One of my favourite things about having this blog is that it gives me the perfect excuse to make food. Namely, the old recipes, the old family traditions, that make for a huge part of my childhood memories, and that otherwise would get pretty much lost. I get to cook, eat, and then show the photos to my family and have a laugh while we all remember the stories attached to every recipe. 

This one, for example, was one of my brother's favourites. Like the Maria Biscuit Cake and the Chocolate Mousse, the Chocolate Salami had a mandatory presence in kids' birthday parties. But my brother really only liked the one that my mother made... So, every single time we were at someone else's party he would take a bite of the salami and be inevitably disappointed. It was funny and heart breaking at the same time. I don't even know why he kept trying, but that's what made it the more comic. 

So here is my mother's recipe. It's a dark salami, not too sweet, just right!

100g chocolate powder 
100g cocoa powder
200g powdered sugar
125g butter 
4 egg yolks
200g butter biscuits (the recipe says Petit Beurre but I used what I had at home which was Maria biscuits)
whisky or Brandy (optional) 

Crush the biscuits in a food processor. Or punch them if you feel like it, but that's a lot of unnecessary work. Some of the biscuits will be reduced to powder but you want to get most of it in little pieces like you can see in the photos. 

Use butter at room temperature or slightly softened (15 sec in the microwave if it just came out of the fridge).

Throw everything into a big bowl except for the whisky. Mix all very well with your hands until you get a consistency that you can shape into a big ball (if need add another egg yolk). 

Place it on a big piece of parchment paper, sprinkled with the whiskey/brandy, and shape it, roughly, like a cylinder or log. Wrap it all with the parchment paper and twist the ends (like a Christmas cracker). Sprinkle again the outside of the paper with a bit of whisky/brandy - I know, it's supposed to be a recipe for children, don't ask! I didn't have whisky at home, I hate whisky, so I skipped this step. It's not a big deal if you don't want to use it, but I think that the whisky helps to solidify the salami  and it also gives a certain acidity, a twist that it's quite nice. 

Leave in the fridge for a few hours until hardened. Cut thin slices when you want to eat it and keep the rest in the fridge. 

photos by me

And that's it :) Easy no?
If you decide to try I'd love to hear about your experience.



3 comments:

  1. What is the difference between cocoa powder & chocolate powder? I really want to make this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello :)

      Cocoa powder and chocolate powder taste very different and cannot replace each other in recipes.

      Although chocolate powder contains cocoa, it also contains added fats and sugars, which interfere with the intensity of the flavour. Cocoa powder is more dark and bitter but it brings a more intense chocolaty flavour to the recipe. Mixing the 2 in some recipes is for reasons of balance in bitterness/sweetness, texture, colour and intensity of flavour.

      hope this helps :)
      Catarina

      Delete
  2. Thanks. I will have to look for this online as I did not find chocolate powder in my grocery stores last holiday season. But I definitely want to make this!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...